Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Caution: Sugar Withdrawal May Cause Bitterness

Today when I found myself craving a cheeseburger with french fries dipped in Ranch dressing, washed down with a root beer and finished off with anything that involves chocolate, I decided that I have no idea why I am doing this. I felt myself getting angry, or what my friend Erin calls "hangry" (the anger that comes from being hungry), thinking, "I was fine! Who says I need to eat healthier? This is crap. I give up."

But then I decided that being the expert procrastinator that I am, maybe I could put off downing the cheeseburger until tomorrow. I don't need to worry about doing this for a month. Just worry about today. Live for the moment. I could get hit by a bus and today would be my last day anyway. But then I thought, if I'm gonna die today, I definitely want to have a cheeseburger before I go.

I digress. Trying to move into a more positive light, I did have somewhat of an epiphany today. At lunchtime I had again waited too long to eat so I got really hangry, craving everything from donuts to Taco Bell to chocolate root beer (which I've never had, but I'm sure it exists and is delicious). But when I did eat, I stuck to the guidelines and ate the following: scrambled eggs, avocado with lime and salt, turkey with goat cheese, and then I finished off the "guacamole" with some corn tortilla chips. (Yes, I realize this is quite a random and weird lunch, but I'm still figuring this thing out.) And because I stuck to the guidelines, I felt happily satiated. What I did not feel - and here's the epiphany - was like I'd just eaten a dairy cow bomb and now needed to go hibernate for 3 months. So there's my answer, I suppose. The reason I'm doing this is to feel better and have more energy. And to not develop diabetes by the time I'm 30.

New Food of the Day: Almond Butter

I never ever thought I would buy this stuff, much less eat it, but despite the fact that I had to stir in the oily goop (which, I have to admit, was kind of fun), it's actually pretty darn good.

No comments:

Post a Comment