Monday, February 1, 2010

Day One: A Morning Run, Perhaps?

This is how I envisioned my first morning of Healthy February:

5:15 am - wake up
5:20 am - eat a banana
5:30 am - run for 30 minutes
6:00 am - make myself eggs (with olive oil, not butter) and eat them
6:20 am - shower and get ready for work
6:50 am - leave for work
7:25 am - calmly breeze into work with the contented feeling of knowing that I am perfect

This is how my morning actually went:

5:15 am - groan at alarm clock and reset it for 6:00 am while thinking "screw this running crap."
6:00 am - hit snooze bar
6:10 am - hit snooze bar
6:20 am - hit snooze bar
6:30 am - think about hitting snooze bar, but realize I only have 20 minutes left to get ready. Feel sorry for myself for 2 minutes before getting out of bed
7:00 am - leave for work and eat an apple and drink black coffee while driving
7:25 am - remember as I am climbing the escalator to work that they changed my schedule this week and I was actually supposed to be at work at 7:00
7:30 am - clock in and pretend like I still think I'm on time while secretly loathing myself

So this no sugar no white flour no cow milk thing isn't quite as easy as I'd hoped. And it turns out, I have no idea what I'm doing. I prepared myself mentally and emotionally for this big change; however, I failed to prepare my cupboards. I don't really cook. (Unless you consider boiling water and squeezing the cheese sauce out of the packet cooking.) So this afternoon when I went to the grocery store to try and scrounge up some lunch I left with turkey, eggs, 2 avocados, bananas, goat cheese (thanks, Cassie), and 4 ears of corn. Oh, and limes. Because apparently I'm planning to get through this month on guacamole and corn on the cob drizzled with lime juice. I heard once that's what those Weight Watchers people do instead of using butter.

But the day wasn't a total loss. I actually did end up running for 30 minutes, although it was at 3:45 in the afternoon instead of 5:30 in the morning. It was hanging over me all day. I dread working out like most people dread going to the dentist or, say, their loan shark when they don't have the money they owe them. I have this fear that it's gonna hurt. But then I did it, and 2 and a half miles later (yes, I only ran 2 and half miles in 30 minutes, just in case you didn't quite understand just how out of shape I am) I was left feeling great. Really, it's true what they say about those endorphins or whatever. I felt so good, in fact, that I had the thought that I'd actually like to do it again tomorrow. That is, until my alarm goes off.

1 comment: